Monday, January 7, 2013

We don't really know what is possible!

In November a story appeared in our newspaper about Jerry Beyl of New Albany, Indiana. Jerry is 88 years old and been in a wheelchair for ten years. In May of this year he had a small stroke. The lingering effects were weakness and loss of control in the right arm. He was sent to a rehab center where they hoped in a month, they could restore control and usage of the right arm. At the end of a week, his arm was better than they had expected and someone had the bright idea to see if they could get him on his feet. The first day they asked him to stand for one minute. He couldn't do it. But the next day they tried again and just kept going from there. By the end of his month in rehab, he walked out of the facility on his own. He shared he just wanted to walk hand and hand with his beloved wife, Agnes, and do some chores around the house and help her. Agnes is now dealing with a non-treatable breast cancer. Now my question was, "Who had the openness to even suggest an eighty-eight year old man, who had spent the last ten years in a wheel chair, could walk again?" Don't know but someone looked past what was precedent (what had gone on before) to see the possibility that is always nearer than our next breath. Spirit is not bound by precedent and neither are we. Oh if we could get that, there is no telling the places we would go. In thinking about what we know and the circumstances, I considered what in the consciousness of Jerry got him out of that wheel chair now. We know that outward expression is a result of thought/consciousness. I have no way of knowing and don't believe Jerry could tell us, but it makes sense to me that a deep desire in Jerry's heart was to help Agnes with what is happening for her now. The deep desires of our hearts are what Law/Spirit responds to. Could Jerry have said, "I think I need a small stroke so I can get out of this chair." I don't think so. But Spirit knows the how, our job is to choose the expression, the experience we want to have. I invite you in this moment to take a deep breath. As you release the breath think, "I release what I think I know is possible." As you breath in think, "I receive and recognize the deep desires of my heart." I feel how it feels. If we boil everything we desire down, the end result will be feelings of being loved, loving, belonging, being fulfilled, inspired, enthusiastic, abundant and safe. yummmmm that feels good. Warm and comfy hugs to each of you. Rev. Carolyn

No comments:

Post a Comment